Monday, October 27, 2008

Big Plans (Non-Profit and Otherwise)!

I want to thank all of you for helping me to realize that I want to move towards making a career out of helping animals like these. First things first, we are forming a non-profit so that all the kind people that have contributed can, in the future, receive a tax deduction. It also lends greater legitimacy and structure to the wonderful work we have already accomplished and creates a promise to continue, and hopefully expand, such work in the future. We obviously hope to focus on the very straightforward task of rescuing animals, restoring their health, and finding them homes. But if there is anything else you think we should address, please let me know. Much of this is being done for the first time, so your input, assistance, and participation are invaluable in this process.

I cannot emphasize enough that there is much work left to be done. In driving to the junkyard, the streets are packed with abused or merely neglected dogs. Many of us do not see this problem or recognize it because we do not regularly go to the neighborhoods where this is occuring. But throughout Westside, Intown Atlanta neighborhoods alone, there are likely thousands of dogs in the same condition (or worse) than the ones you see on this blog. We are looking forward to helping as many of them as we can.

While the organization is growing over the next several years, I intend to continue to help people buy and sell homes. This work has also been very satisfying, as it has allowed me to make many wonderful friends and help them find a perfect place to call home (I usually try to bring a kitten or puppy to the closing and say "but look at all the extra space you now have!"). In the course of this work, I will be pledging one percent of all commissions I receive to rescuing animals, with the intention of allocating the entire amount towards local, grass roots organizations.

No comments: